Highlights Villages > Las Cruces de Tesjuate

Cruces Tesjuate-4

 

These crosses were erected in memory of a priest and an altar boy who drowned when they tried to cross the valley flooded by torrential rains. As early as 1884, English traveller Olivia M. Stone, on her visit to the island, wrote about her encounter with the crosses in her book “Fuerteventura 1884”: “… There are two round pillars on rough foundations on one side of the valley and a cross is raised on each side…”

The neighbours adopted the custom of covering the crosses in flowers every 2nd May, the eve of the Day of the Cross. That custom still continues and each year the crosses are covered with flowers of many colours.